Search this site

Abbey Seminary of Marola

Contacts:

Place:

Via Seminario - Marola - 42033 Carpineti

How to get there:

Accessibility:
Location Cavola
Distance from Carpineti 7 km. To get to Marola you take the SP 36, 98 and the 31. Not far from the center of Marola, on the main road, you turn onto the lateral "Via Seminario" that leads to the Abbey.

Weekday hours:

Ask for information at the diocesan center

Holiday hours:

Ask for information at the diocesan center

Opening times:

All year round

Entrance fee:

ingresso gratuito

Gratuitousness:

Free entrance

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Additional notes:

 

Analytical text:

According to some the foundation of the Church, by countess Matilde of Canossa, dates back to the years between 1076 and 1092, with consecration in 1102 – 1106 and construction of the monastery in a period prior to 1101. Starting from the pastoral visits at the end of the 1500's there are various indications regarding the conditions of the complex. Cardinal Rinaldo d'Estes' inspection in 1652 reports huge cracks, the sacristy in bad condition, cracked walls and areas too restricted to hold worshipers. In 1664 the roof was ordered redone. From a report we learn that a consistent intervention on the minor apses and their substitution with a straight wall was carried out. In 1709 the church appears to have had one main nave and two aisles having in part uncovered façades and in part tiles.
Between 1736 and 1738 rearranging works began that due to bad supervision, provoked serious damages to the walls and the façade. During the period 1745 – 1747 works were done which gave the structure a baroque like aspect. The church as it stood after restoration has a Latin cross layout with cupola, lateral chapels with single nave, newly paved and with brick façade. Minor restoration interventions were done in 1874 and at the end of the same century. In 1955 a project of reconstruction began which was to restore the complex in its previous structure consolidating the remaining parts of the ancient façade and the apse.
The church is liturgically oriented. It has a double-weathered façade with ogival splayed portal and having above a double weathered roof and in the center of the façade there's a double window. In the apse there's a noteworthy decoration of the small crowning arches. At one the monastery had an annexed hospital for pilgrims. In a document of 1176 we read: "actum ad Monasterium da Maraula sub porticu hospitalis". At the beginning of the XIII century the monastery which was enlarged included 2 hospitals, a new one and an old one. The convent was soon abandoned by monastic life and was for the most part unused. In 1631 the "palace" is emphyteusis of the Fontanelli family, feudal vassals of Marola and San Donnino. Count Giulio transformed it into a civil residence having it equipped with "four big towers (gharetti) (…) facing the large road another huge door opened adorned like the other(…)" and arranging a majestic garden with the enclosure. The Fontanelli were followed by the Amortti and the Sabottini. At the beginning of the 18th century it was emphyteusis of the Moretti family who later on gave rights to the Finance office of State property of Modena in 1824. That same year, the seminary was erected through a special decree by the Duke. In 1921 the building was enlarged and the front door was raised and the central connection was made. The building has an "H" layout on three levels with two inside courtyards. On the one on the side of the church there's a seven-architraved lights portico. On the outside the large circular towers remain on the façade facing east along with extensive traces of the ancient walls.
Last update: July 10, 2019

Municipality:

Carpineti
Piazza Matilde di Canossa, 1
42033 Carpineti (RE)
0522 615019 0522 615020
0522 718014

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it