Search this site

Church of Saints Pietro and Paolo at Gottano

Contacts:

  • 0522 815125

Place:

Gottano - 42020 Vetto

How to get there:

Accessibility
Location Gottano
Distance from the administrative capital 5 km
Route:
from the administrative capital you take the SP 57 in the direction of Ramiseto up to Gottano

Opening times:

Externally the church is always visible, to visit the interior tel.: 0522/81525

Entrance fee:

ingresso gratuito

Gratuitousness:

Yes

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic Zone

Analytical text:

Description
The church dedicated to Saints Pietro and Paolo, is mentioned for the 1st time in a document of the Reggio Emilia Cathedral in 1213.
In 1318 it's a daughter-house of the Campiliola Parish to which it belongs up to 1727 when it is subject to the Plebanato of Nigone.
The belfry of the Gottano church rises in the area of the antique village fort of which it incorporates a few structures. To be pointed out is the building's surface in opus quadratum.
the inhabitants call the tower of the church "Golden fort".
A legend states that when the castle was being built a small treasure was buried, probably a cast of gold, hidden there by Matilde di Canossa herself.
Last update: March 8, 2021

Municipality:

Vetto d'Enza
Piazza Caduti di Legoreccio, 1
42020 Vetto d'Enza (RE)
0522 815222
0522 815694

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it