Search this site

Church of San Martino of Corneto

Place:

Corneto - 42010 Toano

How to get there:

Accessibility
Location Corneto
From the administrative capital it's about 15 km
Route:
From the administrative capital you take the SP 8 in the direction of Cerredolo and then the SP 56 in the direction of Cavola, a few kilometers before Cavola you follow the deviation for Corneto

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Additional notes:

Notizie aggiuntive
E' visitabile esternamente
Per visitarla internamente rivolgersi a 0522 614413

Analytical text:

Description
The church of Corneto, with the complex of the rectory and the tower of the belfry, rises on a hill to the left of the Secchia valley. The church of "Cornilio" or "Corneto" was consecrated by Vicar Alberio in the middle of the XII century, as cited in a document of 1191. It is nominated as daughter-house of the Toano parish in the Register of Tithes of 1318. Tradition has it that the first church was in a place, in past centuries, called "Old Church". The construction disappeared in 1515. Up to 1538 the church was united to the S. Giustina church of Roncolo. The church of San Martino was rebuilt in 1620, under the rectorate of Giacomo Ceccati the building was re-elaborated and a bell-tower was constructed. In 1664 the church wasn't completed, the surface still needed to be completed and it was covered only by slabs. In 1707 it had a nave and three altars, it was cross-shaped and had a chancel. In 1767 the small portico was built on the southern side. In 1924 the church was lengthened 5 m. The present day building faces liturgically and has a sloping façade. The entrance portal, of the XVII century is of sandstone with niche and frontispiece. The interior is of the lowered-cross type and has a bowl-shaped apse. Not far away is the elegant bell tower attributed to Antonio Ceccati. At the base there's a large buttress. The stone structure, with regular alternating recurrences and scanned by the sequence of small windows is enclosed by a three-light window cell with sandstone columns, coupled and sculpted in spires. For an interior visit of the church call: 0522/614413
Last update: March 8, 2021

Municipality:

Toano
Corso Trieste, 65
42010 Toano (RE)
0522 805110
0522 805542

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it