Search this site

Oratorio del Carobbio

Place:

Sarzano - 42034 Casina

How to get there:

Accessibility
It rises in front of the deviation for the Sarzano castle.
It's 1 km from the administrative capital.
From Casina you take the SP 11 in the direction of Sarzano

Gratuitousness:

yes

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Analytical text:

Description:
the name Carobbio perhaps comes from the dialect phrase "car dal robi" which means place where the carts carrying goods to sell in the city would stop.
From here in fact the old carriage way would pass, it crossed the flat area, through the areas of Pecorile, Paderna, Paullo, Monchi dei Ferri, which led to the Castle of Sarzano and Casina and beyond, the road from Canossa also passed through here.
It was here that in 1741 Domenica Corbelli, a young shepherd girl of Sarzano saw the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The apparition reappeared for a couple of days thus the young girl, encouraged by the inhabitants of the area, asked the Madonna what she wished. the Madonna relied that an oratory should be built in the place where two blood stained stones would be found. Construction began in 1742 and finished the same year.
The oratory is made of plain stone, with a single nave, with apse, it has a sloping roof and the secondary one f the apse is at the same height. The side walls on the outside are void of whitewash and are partly hidden by added buildings, also hidden are 4 of the 6 17th century symmetrical windows laid out and all visible on the inside.
the façade, whitewashed and having a simple cornice, has a wide door with tow small windows on the side which are almost square and have sills, underneath there are monolithic prie-dieus fixed to the wall. Above it, at the level of the lateral ones, but a lot larger, there's a window of the same style, flanked by two niches and surmounted by a small round window. The walls and the inside vaults are finely whitewashed and have symmetrical decorative parts also in relation to the different colors. The decorative complex of the original ancon is lengthened with 17th century features from the floor to the basin; at the base it is formed by a vertical slab of grit on which a cross intertwined with an "M" stands out.
the painting, which doesn't have a date or a signature depicts the Virgin among clouds, sitting with hands open, receiving the child.
Last update: July 10, 2019

Municipality:

Casina
P.zza IV Novembre, 3
42034 Casina (RE)
0522 604711
0522 609464

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it