Search this site

Sarzano

Place:

Sarzano - 42034 Casina

How to get there:

Accessibility
Distance from administrative capital: km 1
From Casina you take the SP 11 in the direction of Canossa.

Tourist Area:

Tourist Area
Apennines

Geographic Area:

Geographic Zone
Matildic zone

Analytical text:

Description
The medieval settlement of Sarzano dominates the long ridge, which connects Canossa to Marola and Carpineti and was an important stronghold of the fortified system of the Canossa.
Sarzano was probably bought by Adalberto Atto in 958.
During Matildic times Sarzano was subjected to the Monastery of Canossa and at the end of the 12th century to the municipality of Reggio Emilia.
At that time the peak of the hill must have already been fortified with a donjon and an enclosing wall which o the inside had room for a garrison and the chapel dependent on the Paullo parish.
The big church rebuilt in 1659 just outside the walled enclosure of the castle, was abandoned in 1930 when religious functions were transferred to the new parochial church of Casina.
Last update: July 10, 2019

Municipality:

Casina
P.zza IV Novembre, 3
42034 Casina (RE)
0522 604711
0522 609464

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it