Search this site

The church of Saint Paul in Giandeto

Contacts:

  • 0522 1474713

Place:

Giandeto - 42034 Casina

How to get there:

Accessibility
From the administrative capital it's about 5 km
From Casina you take the SP 63 and after about 3 km a town road on the left leads to Giandeto

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matilidic zone

Analytical text:

Description
A former structure, situated according to Vicar Milani on the left bank of the Dorgola brook it was a modest chapel dedicated to San Paolo. The church appears listed in the Register of Tithes of 1318 along with its rector Ugo as being dependent in 1318 to 1623 on the parish of Baiso. The date of constitution of the current parish seems to be around 1446. From 1538 to1623 the parish remained alternatively dependent on the parish of Baiso and San Vitale of Carpineti, the latter being the one it belonged to from this late date up to 1799. At the beginning of the XIX century it was raised to the level of Vicariate. The church of San Paolo has an elegant baroque façade scanned by pilaster strips and ending in an arched, spired pediment. The portal is archivolted, squared with broken frontispiece, while on the side there are two niches with statues of saints. The inside is in volto.
The bell tower rises on the side of the northern wall and is concluded by a single-light window cell.
The church underwent restoration in 1848 and 1869.
Last update: July 10, 2019

Municipality:

Casina
P.zza IV Novembre, 3
42034 Casina (RE)
0522 604711
0522 609464

A cura della redazione IAT Informazione e Accoglienza Turistica dell'Unione Montana dei Comuni dell’Appennino Reggiano
Via Franceschini 1/a - 42035 Castelnovo ne’ Monti (R.E.) | Tel. 0522 810430 Fax 0522 812313 | E-mail: iat@appenninoreggiano.it