Castle in Baiso

Place:

42031 Baiso

Municipality:

BAISO
Piazza della Repubblica, 1, 42031 Baiso (RE)
0522 993511, 0522 843980
comune@comune.baiso.re.it
www.comune.baiso.re.it

How to get there:

Accessibility
Distance from Reggio Emilia km 32. You get to Baiso going to Scandiano and following the directions for Viano and Baiso on the SP 7.

Weekday hours:

Can't be visited, private

Entrance fee:

no

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Additional notes:

Notizie Aggiuntive
L'edificio è osservabile solo dall'esterno, dalla strada sottostante, perché l'accesso diretto all'edificio è strada privata

Analytical text:

Description:
The majestic traces of the Baiso Castle, for centuries seat of noble families, constitute a clear example of an enclosed castle, attributable to the XIII-XIV century.
Its equipped configuration was due to the strategic position it occupied, at the center of the furrowed valleys of the Secchia and Tresinaro rivers.
The raising of a former fortification is attributable by modern historians to Adalberto Atto and is to be inserted in the project of fortifying with battlements the entire Reggiano area, promoted by the Canossa family.
The foundation of a castle, whose existence is attested only in 1156, is to be accredited to the Baiso family, vassal of the Canossa.
The Fogliani, in 1256, acquired the property of the castle and the feud.
In 1288 the first architectural transformation of the fort took place, which was extensively damaged by the enemy group of the "Intrinseci".
The dominion of the Fogliani ended in 1433, when it passed on to the Estensi.
From 1513 to 1523 the castle was entrusted to Domenico Amorotto, yearning to create an independent territory in the mountain territory.
From 1633 the feud gravitated in the power orbit of the Livizzani Marquis passing for more than two centuries from father to son, according to the rule of the first born.
In 1796 feuds were abolished and the reigning ancient families were deprived of their power and the Livizzani were also deprived of their dominions, which they reclaimed only in 1803, without jurisdiction.
In 1903 the entire complex, at this point reduced into ruins, underwent restructuring.
In 1960 a new series of restoration works began, prompted by the latest proprietor, transforming the construction into an elegant dwelling.
The building can be seen only from the outside, from the underlying road as the access to the construction is through a private road.

Last update: April 11, 2022