Castle of Mandra

Place:

Mandra - 42033 Carpineti

Municipality:

CARPINETI
Piazza Matilde di Canossa, 1, 42033 Carpineti (RE)
0522 615019 0522 615020 , 0522 718014
territorio@comune.carpineti.re.it
www.comune.carpineti.re.it

How to get there:

Accessibility
Location Mandra, Via Pianzano. You take the SP 7 in the direction of Baiso and then, after about 2 km, you take the town road on the left. It's 7 km from the administrative capital.

Tourist Area:

Apennines

Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Analytical text:

Description
The castle soars on the peak of Mt. Uccellara dominating the Tresinaro valley. What remains of the Mandra castle is the big squared tower surrounded by ruins of the wall enclosure.
The existence of a fortified nucleus is attested by a "cartula Donacionis" of 1105, written in the "Castro Mandra". Due to the overhanging conformation of the location, inaccessible on three sides, the main entrance to the castle must have been situated on the south where the current roadway is that leads to the Sanctuary.
The door of the castle was instead to the east of the basement room, with vaulted ceiling, communicating with the outside through a window which is found on the basement floor of the main tower. A church dedicated to S. Martino was annexed to he castle, it's nominated in a document of the Marola monastery of 1148. Having belonged to the Canossa as is attested by its presence in a list of Matildic castles, Mandra, from 1115 became the property of Ubaldo, the founder of the Mandra lordship, who got the name from their castle. After the seigniory of the da Mandras came that of the Fogliani. Nicolò III d'Este, who became proprietor of the castle in 1427, initiated a new series of operations to strengthen the dilapidated military structures. The Este exerted their influence up to 1604, when count Alessandro Ariosto of Ferrara receives the investiture of mannor-houswe. In 1709 the Marquee Molza of Modena results as being the owner of the fort, while at the end of the 1700's the castle belonged to Ottone Chiodini, who originally came from Lunigiana.

Last update: April 11, 2022