Chiesa di San Prospero Carpineti


Strada Matildica al Castello, 2 - 42033 Carpineti


  • 0522 816315

How to get there:

It's 37 km from Reggio Emilia. The church is located to the north of Carpineti, about 300 meters east of the present church of S. Prospero, above a plateau called "Valcisia towards the source of the Torchio.

Tourist Area:


Geographic Area:

Matildic zone

Analytical text:

The antique San Prospero d'Antognano church was located in a place, which was once called "Geugeul". It would appear that a fire in the XIII century destroyed the previous building. The "Ecclasiam San Prosperi" was donated in 1092 along with the church of S. Gregorio di Antognano, by Countess Matilde of Canossa to the monastery of San Benedetto in Polirone. Count Lodolfo, son of King Ottone, was buried there. In the reconstruction of the present day church, built at the end of the XVI century and finished in 1605 (1609), material from the demolished S. Gregorio church of Antognano was used. In 1593 it took on the new church name of "S. Prospero of Cadelbrittis" from the nearby hamlet of Cà de Beretti. In 1724 the main chapel was built, surrounded with friezes and ornaments made of Gypsum as wanted by the feudal vassals, the Giannini Counts. The building is directed liturgically. It has a sloping façade on which there's a sandstone ashlar portal with ogival arch and keystone dated "1609" and signed with the monogram of Christ and the symbol of a six petal rose. Above there's a tapered window closed by an ogival arch. The bell rises on the northern side and ends with a single light window cell.


Piazza Matilde di Canossa, 1, 42033 Carpineti (RE)
0522 615019 0522 615020 , 0522 718014

Last update: December 12, 2023